Historically, American family homes used to have large kitchens, but this trend is seamlessly shifting away. Open floor plans have become a new thing, and their various advantages range from letting in more sunlight to enlarging the feel of the room. On a contrary, open kitchen often implies losing an entire wall of cabinets, resulting in a challenge to provide sufficient storage.
One of the most common challenges kitchen remodelers face is how to optimize the space for a small yet practical kitchen area. It becomes a priority to combine style and functionality without making the area feel too crowded. The first trick is to visualize what designers call a ‘functionality triangle’, the three points of which are the center of the sink, the center of the cooktop, and the refrigerator. The rule of thumb is to have each leg of the triangle anywhere between 4 and 9 feet.
While configuring the best triangle, we also think about storage solutions. At this point, one size does not fit all. For instance, kitchen islands are extremely popular with our clients, but if space is limited, an island might only get in the way. Alternatively, we could install a custom U-shaped design or a kitchen peninsula to provide both storage and countertop space.
Here are a few additional tips on maximizing kitchen space:
- The countertops, bar areas, and multifunctional islands can serve both as a work area and a dining area if you choose to keep them at a seat height rather than a bar stool height.
- Consider investing in dual-purpose appliances, such as combination ovens and refrigerators that convert between fridge and freezer.
- Pull-out pantries and roll-out countertops can give you a lot of freedom with organizing space depending on how you’re using it.
- Look into non-standard, oversized cabinets. Some can extend from the countertops to the ceiling and provide ample storage for a small kitchen.
- Organize in-cabinet storage with special trays and tray dividers.
To our professionals at Granite State Cabinetry, small space is not an obstacle for creating a great, functional and aesthetically pleasing kitchen. If you’re looking for additional and personalized ideas on optimizing your kitchen space, reach out to us online. Or, call (603) 472-4080 and make an appointment to visit our showroom at 384 Route 101 Bedford, NH 03110.